With people embracing new diets for the new year, we thought it was important to explain the health benefits of some foods that can be easily added into your cooking, so here is the first in our mini series created by our osteopath James.
1. Help fight colds and sickness. A 12-week study found that a daily garlic supplement reduced the number of colds by 63% compared to a placebo.
2. Could be beneficial in reducing blood pressure. Some studies have found garlic supplements to have a significant impact on reducing blood pressure in people with high blood pressure.
3. It may help lower cholesterol. Studies have demonstrated a reduction in total and/or LDL cholesterol by about 10–15%.
4. Garlic contains antioxidants that support the body’s protective mechanisms against oxidative damage. These antioxidants may reduce the risk of common brain diseases like Alzheimer’s disease and dementia.
5. Could help maintain health bones. rodent studies have shown that it can minimise bone loss by increasing oestrogen in females.